Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Let it begin.

Oh, June 9. Day of no new beginnings, ever; day of rain.

Until now. Half a year ago, driven to the edge by the one-millionth year-of blook experiment (insert here: local food, no Chinese products, Noah-style beard-growing, doing whatever Oprah says... ) and fuelled by half-an-evening's worth of New Year's Eve-type beverages, I announced to a room of disinterested partiers and Jake Mooney that I would herewith begin my own experiment: My Life As Scissors was born.

For one year, I explained, I will commit to decision-making Rock-Paper-Scissors-style. With one rule: I always throw scissors. Jake thought this was a pretty good idea; he was probably pretty inebriated, but no matter. His tiny smile of encouragement took hold. And starting today, June 9, I'm following through on the idea at long last.

Originally, I thought Scissors was just the ultimate in gimmicky, inane, rules-to-live-by tricks: what I wanted to do is expose how gimmicky and inane these projects are. (I'm pretty sure that'll still happen.) But the more I thought about it, the more I grew to like the idea and its implications. I can't make every decision via RPS, but I do swear to throw scissors at least once a day. And while this will prove pretty random where strangers
are concerned, it's the A-listers who know what I'm up to that interest me most. How do people behave when they know they're in control of the outcome? Go ahead: hit me with your best shot. When the hands all fall, you know what I'm throwing down.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fascinating project, Scisstah. I'm looking forward to following it.

    In my house, we've always had a great affection for uni-response RPS. We have uncoveredthe 'Caveman' version Rock Paper Scissors, which assumes that in cave days, they hadn't invented anything but rock, so every time we play, we each throw 'rock,' then furrow our large brows, and look confused as we tie yet again. Then we throw again and the process repeats. Somewhere along the way, we invent fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA! This is hilarious, Elisabeth. I don't blame you for quitting after three days, however. Just wanted to say I appreciated the humour this morning, several years after your scissors project began and ended. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete